Saturday, July 15, 2017

Book Review: Rad Women Worldwide by Kate Schatz

I am a HUGE fan of Kate Schatz. So when I spotted this now worldwide Rad Women book (don't know how I'd missed it!) I snatched it up immediately! Much like her previous bestseller, Rad American Women A-Z, which was on my favs list in 2015 - this brings the stories of so many women to light that we all should know! I love the interconnectedness that this worldwide approach brings, and I feel like I'm learning about so many women that should be household names (which begs the questions... why aren't they? and how do we get to that point?). Major thank you to Kate Schatz and incredible illustrator Miriam Klein Stahl (your papercut illustrations are beyond amazing!) for this beautiful second collection of Rad Women, please keep collaborating!

In approachable 1-2 page summaries, you'll learn the stories of 40 incredible women side-by-side their papercut illustration, and a notable quote from each of them highlighted. In the back too, is a list of 250 more women - can you say research project time? Or Volume 2, I hope? :)

While every single woman is pure heroine material - some of the most "What?!!" moments I had while reading this book to just give you a sampling of the amazingly Rad Women you'll meet -



Did you know the world's oldest known author was a woman? Meet Enheduanna, who lived 4,300 years ago and predates Confucius, the Greeks... everyone! She lived from 2285-2250 BCE in Mesopotamia and was a priestess, princess, poet and teacher. Incredible! Clay tablets with her writings were found in 1927 in the desert in Iraq, and a few have been translated, including, "The Exaltation of Inanna" a 153 line long hymn of devotion to this powerful goddess.

"I have more than enough courage to suffer this death and a thousand more... Do not forget my example." 
Wow. These were the words of Policarpa "La Pola" Salavarrieta, who was executed in Columbia after she was charged with espionage and treason. A part of the revolution for Colombian Independence from Spain, she was a spy working undercover in the homes of loyalists (who favored Spanish rule). When caught she refused to renounce her work, and continued to fight until the end. She shouted and fought back with her words, her voice booming louder then the drums they tried to drown her our with. When faced with the firing squad and told to turn her back, she faced them instead saying the epic words above.

Mother-Daughter Math Mail
I'd heard of Marie Curie, though not of her daughter Irene Joliot-Curie. (Apparently, the only mother-daughter duo to win the Nobel Prize. What of the sweetest things to me was hearing Marie's mothering - "When Marie was busy traveling or working in the lab she mailed math problems home to Irene, who tried hard to impress her mom by solving the challenging equations." (81) Parenting win, and the kind of mom I think I'd love to be one day :)

Every classroom should have Rad Women (both American and Worldwide) in their collection. Middle School, High School, even Upper Elementary - absolutely a must!


No comments:

Post a Comment